Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Here I Am

So, I have decided to start a blog! I have several reasons for doing this:

1. It’s a nice way to stay in touch with everyone when you can’t talk or visit on a day to day basis.
2. I love reading other people’s blogs and hearing about what is going on in their lives and that has inspired me to do the same.
3. I feel that I express myself better in writing.

 I used to make A’s on almost all of my papers in high school and college and was told by more than one of my professors that I would make a great writer! I actually think I would really enjoy that! I love to read and write, so the two seem to go hand in hand. For those of you that know me, you know I am a pretty quiet person. Even around people I know very well I don’t talk too much unless I really have something to say or am in one of my extremely rare chatty moods. Some people don’t like this, but I would rather send an email or text than actually talk on the phone. What’s crazy is back in high school I loved talking on the phone and could do it for hours at a time and would be absolutely crushed if I got, heaven forbid, GROUNDED from the phone for a week!! That was the ultimate punishment for me. Not sure what has changed in me to make me not like talking on the phone as much now that I’m older – maybe it’s because that was before email and myspace and cell phones and texting had really caught on.


So I'm not really sure where to begin as there is so much that could be said. I guess I could start with something that writing this blog has actually inspired me to do. I was recently asked what my goals/dreams were and sadly to say I couldn’t think of anything. Until now, you see where I said up there I had several professors tell me I’d make a great writer. That has obviously stuck with me and been rolling around in the back of my mind over the last several years. I would love to write a book. Not that I think it would be published, nor do I know where to begin, but just because I think it would be fun to do and an accomplishment in life. Maybe a book is a bit much to take on, maybe an article or something like that, start small and work my way up. And bare in mind when I say book, I’m thinking maybe more along the lines of a children’s book, not some big 300 page novel.

I have my degree in Elementary Education and have such a passion for children’s books. One of my favorite classes in college was one where we did absolutely nothing but read and examine/study children’s books. It was so much fun!!! I loved books as a child and am so thankful that a love for reading was instilled in me at an early age. I’ve heard stories of how I threw a fit in the grocery store one time because I didn’t get a book one day, which was apparently a routine. I can remember my grandma taking me to story hour at the library and then getting to check out books that I got to take home for a whole week and read over and over again until I practically had the stories memorized. While most kids dreaded doing book reports, I actually liked them. I loved telling people about the book I had just read and hopefully inspired them to read and enjoy it for themselves. I really think my passion would be to become a children’s librarian or own a children’s bookstore like Meg Ryan’s character in my all-time favorite movie, You’ve Got Mail. I love the line in that movie where she says "When you read a book as a child it becomes part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your life does." That is so true – how many stories/books do you remember from your childhood and what kind of memories does it conjure up? Now how many stories/books have you read as an adult that have had that same impact on you? Not very many huh! OMG, I would absolutely LOVE to be able to pass along my passion for books and reading!! I would be like a little kid at Christmas going to work everyday. It could be a problem though because I would want to sit and read the books all day as opposed to doing the actual work that would need to be done in order for either one of those professions to prosper for me.

So yeah, I have dreams/goals! Now it’s just a matter of acting on them. Maybe blogging will help give me some kind of ideas or inspiration of what I could write about. As you can see, I have no problem writing – in fact I can be a little long-winded sometimes. I’m sure this is probably pushing it for a blog entry. So, on that note, this is a good start for now. I hope you enjoy my blog and choose to embark on this journey with me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment