Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Car show, Hibachi grill, and Alice in Wonderland

That was my Saturday. We started off by going to the auto show; which is always fun! Whether we're in the market for a new car or not it's always fun to see the latest models and the futuristic models and the models we'll never be able to afford. (just being honest) We will be in the market for new vehicles here soon so it was nice to see what's out there. Hubby got to compare all trucks he's been dreaming out and thinks he's made a decision on the one he wants. I had a good time comparing all the SUV's and am still trying to decide which one I like best. Of course all this hinges on our finances and what we'll be approved for and all that good mess. But considering both of our cars are about to be over 100k miles, we hope to be able to at least get one new vehicle for now.

After walking around the car show for about 2 hours (it was much smaller this year) we were tired and hungry and decided Japanese sounded good for lunch. We went to a new Hibachi grill my father-in-law told us about called Kobeya. We have been to Edohana before and love it so we figured this would be a good change. Kobeya was good, but I still think I like Edohana better. We had a nice time though and actually had an entire grill and chef to ourselves. He wasn't as entertaining as some of the others around, but we still had a good time and I even had leftovers to bring for lunch today! That's always a plus!!

We then did a little window shopping as we had about an hour and a half to kill before our movie. We browsed the books at Barnes and Noble (but after discovering Half Price Books I can't bear to pay full price anymore, sorry B&N), we looked at all the goodies Crate & Barrel has to offer (love that store, wish I wasn't on a budget but good thing I am or I would have blown all my money right there), and then looked at the luxuries of Robb & Stucky. It was funny, the sales lady followed us all over the store (even upstairs to the 2nd level) after we told her several times we were JUST LOOKING and then before we were about to leave she told us she wasn't stalking us but wanted to give us her card in case we found something we liked. I understand everyone has to make a living, but when you're breathing down my neck and not giving me my space to look around on my own that just frustrates me and I'm less likely to buy something from you. If I have questions, I know what you look like and may remember your name so I will come find you. Don't worry, I won't give the commission to someone else - I know how it works!

So after we got rid of our stalker we headed over to the movies to grab a seat. I have been anxiously awaiting the release of this movie. I read the book as a child and loved it and was thrilled to see they were making a movie! I'm not a huge Johnny Dep fan, although I loved him in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and think he makes the best Capt. Jack Sparrow. He makes a great Mad Hatter as well! Weird characters suit him (although I didn't particularly care for him in Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory)! Ok, so back to the movie - the theatre was packed and we were probably a good 20-30 minutes early. So just a heads up to anyone who is still wanting to go see it - go early!! Although now that opening weekend is over it may not be so bad. Don't worry, I'm not going to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet, but I feel like I left the theatre feeling a little like this - "HELLO, my name is Angie. I loved you're story as a child, you're Alice in Wonderland -  nice to meet you! What is this? This isn't Alice in Wonderland. Now, seriously, where's Alice in Wonderland?" Ok, it has been a long time since I read the book, but I do not remember the story going the way it was depicted in the movie. Did I remember the story wrong? Did they draw one aspect from the book and focus on that? What's going on here? I thought the movie was ok, but now it makes me question what kind of books I was reading as a child. I am defnitely going to be getting a copy of the book soon and re-reading it to put my mind at ease. My sister asked if my 4-year old niece would enjoy it, but I honestly don't recommend this movie for children under the age of 8. It has some scary/frightening scenes that may be a little over the top for any little youngsters. It was definitely a dark movie!

We had a nice Sunday as well. Didn't do much at all - it was a rainy, dreary day. Perfect day for us to catch up on all our shows we DVR'd from the week, watch The Hurt Locker to see what Avatar was up against for best picture of the year and then watch The Oscars!! The Hurt Locker, by the way, was excellent! Definitely gives you a realistic depiction of war! It's not a feel good movie, but it wasn't sad either. It just really drives things home. It makes me want to do something more for our troops and their families. And even moreso for those soldiers who come back home and have to readjust to life here in America where we're so far removed from the reality of what they face each day. Also for the families of those soldiers who have to adjust to their husband, father, son, brother, etc. who may not ever be the same. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment